Thursday, June 4, 2009

Traditions.

My grandmother moved to the United States following WWII bringing with her some amazing traditions from her native England. She was a master gardener, producing an amazing rose garden. She could tell you about each rose bush and I remember her explaining to me, when I was far too young to understand, all about pruning, planting and caring for them. Her garden produced these great blooms and I remember that often she would cut them just at the base of the rose and float them in beautiful cut-glass bowls or dishes that matched her teas set. Simple and lovely.

Today the tradition is alive. We are seeing "floating flowers" more and more used in centerpieces for weddings and special events. Even flowers fully submerged in water are popular. Check out these great arrangements. A new twist on an old tradition. I think my grandmother would approve!

No comments:

Post a Comment